Printing Code: Typography

This assignment was difficult for me. Here’s the brief:

This week you’re going to design a word. Pick a word and make a typeface around it. The important thing is that you draw the letters using some kind of rule-based logic. Look at the examples I showed in class, and try to come up with your own typeface system – even if it’s very simple. Your goal is to convince me that you can make a typeface that is better constructed in code than in Illustrator.

So I started thinking about what I wanted to design and decided that I needed more constraints. I chose to make my font using negative space – designing around the letters instead of designing them. I took the visual of an audio equalizer as a loose inspiration.

I chose the word “FUTURE” to design since I wanted my type to look modern, clean and, well, futuristic.

I started creating my system of letters. Each letter consists of 3 columns and each column consists of between 2 and 4 bars to create the negative outline. I then drop these into a vector with a column of space after each one.

Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 6.04.50 PM

At this point, it looked like something I could have very easily done in Illustrator. It just looked like a kinda-crappy pixel font. But since I had set up the letter system to be dynamic, I was able to play with the weight of the letter, the height, spacing and angle of each column. I liked that I was able to adjust the properties easily.


Overall, I think it came out ok. I had a hard time with this assignment and I’m not sure the final output is really indicative of the work put in. But I like the grey on grey in different shades.

Code on Github.

Printing Code – Color Identity

Our assignment was to use a color scheme (analogous, monochromatic, complementary, etc) to create an image that represents us. The other requirement was that there’s an element of randomness so every time the code runs, the output is different.

I decided on a blue-hued monochromatic color scheme with a complementary yellow color to represent myself. I’m really pleased with the result, especially how it came out using the matte paper.

Code here: